What is a Mammogram?
Mammograms are used as a screening tool to detect early breast cancer in women experiencing no symptoms. They can also be used to detect and diagnose breast disease in women experiencing symptoms such as a lump, pain, skin dimpling or nipple discharge.
Am I able to have have my Breasts Screened with implants?
The answer is yes, however after having Breast Implants you are required to wait at least 6 months before you’re able to have a breast screening, this ensures that the healing of your surgery is complete and scarring has matured. It is Crucial to inform them that you have implants.
Why should I consider breast screening?
Breast screening carried out regularly is the best way to detect cancer in its earliest stages, even before you feel or see something. Ladies that are eligible are able to have their breasts screened every two years.
It is best to discuss with your doctor on how often they believe you should have your breasts screened.
Early Detection means
• Less invasive more effective treatments
• You will have a more of a chance at beating it than leaving it undetected
• raising awareness to other women and improving survival rates thanks to better treatment and care
Are mammograms safe for women with breast implants?
Yes it is generally safe for women there are some very minimal risks which can include
• In the case of you having a ruptured implant having a mammogram could increase the amount of silicone or saline (depending on the type of implant) spreading into the breast tissue
• There is an extremely small chance that the pressure placed on the implant from the mammography machine could cause the implant to rupture or break.
How much radiation would I be exposed to?
Because of the extra views that are required women that have breast implants will be exposed to more radiation during a mammographic screening than those without.
If I have a breast implant am I more likely to develop breast cancer?
No, at this present stage there is no evidence to suggest that women with implants are more than likely to develop cancer than women without.
Thanks for Reading!
Please don’t hesitate to contact us on
Australia – 1300 629 639
International – +61 7 55 730 544
Or fill out an enquiry form today at – https://somniomedical.wufoo.com/forms/general-enquiry/